Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Was You Ever On The Congo River...




With a monkey's heart and a donkey's liver,
Blow me bully boys, blow.

Well tonight I discovered that I will never join the ranks of James Nachtwey or Matthias Heng...or Henti Cartier-Bresson for that matter. The street will not be my studio, nor will I venture anywhere into the dark corners of the world.

I am not normally a nervous individual, having been married for 40 years. Loud noises do not frighten me. I can stand a fair bit of unsanitary. But when I stepped out of the train station in one of Sydney's western suburbs tonight, intent on attending a club meeting a kilometre away, I started to get the creeps.

No-one was unpleasant. No one attacked me with knives or bombs. No one shouted at me in any known language. I was undoubtedly still under the jurisdiction of NSW and Commonwealth law and would have enjoyed all the protection of the Queen's justice. But after a quick look around I decided that I would not wish to trouble Her Majesty. I think the final straw was watching someone actually melt into the shadows just ahead of me, and this done on a suburban road at 6:30 at night. The thought of the kilometre to go in the dark and then back again at 10:00...

I hope the club meeting was a success. The trip back to the center of the city on the next train was quick and the Italian restaurant I stopped at put on a fine dinner. Actually that is one of the best tips I can give to travellers - never mind all the rest, find an Italian restaurant - they may be noisy but you get fed good.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex cox said...

If you are looking for a best cameras featured product deals, cameras discounts, cameras coupons and much more with great savings only on dealaboo.com. You can find here the cameras of the biggest brands like Sony Cameras, Canon Cameras, Panasonic Cameras and many more brands around the globe.

September 6, 2012 at 1:48 PM  
Blogger Camera Electronic said...

Hello Alex, was it you I saw disappearing into the shadows?

September 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

--> Camera Electronic: Was You Ever On The Congo River...

Was You Ever On The Congo River...




With a monkey's heart and a donkey's liver,
Blow me bully boys, blow.

Well tonight I discovered that I will never join the ranks of James Nachtwey or Matthias Heng...or Henti Cartier-Bresson for that matter. The street will not be my studio, nor will I venture anywhere into the dark corners of the world.

I am not normally a nervous individual, having been married for 40 years. Loud noises do not frighten me. I can stand a fair bit of unsanitary. But when I stepped out of the train station in one of Sydney's western suburbs tonight, intent on attending a club meeting a kilometre away, I started to get the creeps.

No-one was unpleasant. No one attacked me with knives or bombs. No one shouted at me in any known language. I was undoubtedly still under the jurisdiction of NSW and Commonwealth law and would have enjoyed all the protection of the Queen's justice. But after a quick look around I decided that I would not wish to trouble Her Majesty. I think the final straw was watching someone actually melt into the shadows just ahead of me, and this done on a suburban road at 6:30 at night. The thought of the kilometre to go in the dark and then back again at 10:00...

I hope the club meeting was a success. The trip back to the center of the city on the next train was quick and the Italian restaurant I stopped at put on a fine dinner. Actually that is one of the best tips I can give to travellers - never mind all the rest, find an Italian restaurant - they may be noisy but you get fed good.

Labels: